FLAVOR & COLOR CONTRIBUTIONS
- Malt Style: Caramel Malt (Roasted)
- Flavor: Pronounced Caramel, Burnt Sugar, Raisiny, Prunes
- Color: Contributes red to deep red hues
CHARACTERISTICS / APPLICATIONS
- Briess Caramel Malts are roaster produced. Roasters, rather than kilns, make the fullest flavored and best performing Caramel Malts. Briess roasters are efficient drum roasters that have been custom designed and engineered to roast malt and barley. These customized drum roasters allow for the application of significantly higher temperatures to green malt. This is a must for the true crystallization of sugars and development of unique flavors, colors and physical properties only associated with the glassy, crystallized sugars of Caramel Malt.
- Caramel Malts are characterized by a glassy endosperm with varying degrees of sweet flavor ranging from light caramel to toffee to burnt sugar.
- A distinguishing characteristic of Caramel Malts is their ability to improve foam development and stability and enhance viscosity due to non-fermentable structures they contribute to beer.
- Produced in the U.S.A. from AMBA/BMBRI recommended 2-Row malting varieties.
SUGGESTED USAGE LEVELS
- 1-3% For balance in Pilsners
- 5-10% California Common Beer, Vienna, Marzen and Oktoberfest
- 5-15% Doppelbocks, Dark Lagers and Barley Wine
- 5-15% Certain styles of Brown Ales, Scotch Ales, Stouts and Porters
Priced Per lb.